My Photo
Name:
Location: California

Thursday, December 09, 2010

Thurs., Day 2


After leaving Oxnard, the Wednesday trip to the port was quick and clean. We made the drive, unloaded luggage, parked, boarded Golden Princess and reached the stateroom - all within two hours. At first it felt like home. Familiar ship surroundings, it was easy to settle back and think forward about the two weeks this will be home.

We stepped aftward for coffee and people watching. Immediately we bumped into two musicians we've sailed with twice before. Ilua and husband Dave are the closest we've ever experienced to authentic Hawaiian music. They live on the islands but have found a comfortable living providing Princess passengers with their touch of paradise. During the afternoon, though, my dream of paradise was losing its panache, with a growing sense that something was happening. I was feeling ill-ish.

We enjoyed meeting two other couples in the Dining Room, late seating. One older gent and his wife from Chatsworth and a younger two from Whitehorse, Yukon Territory. The 'getting acquainted' begins.


Thursday: Not at all a typical second day out. I was ill throughout the night and not at all comfortable. I determined it must be a cold. Danny, typically, arose early and went for breakfast. I just wanted to get some sleep so I stayed in bed. At 11am, I dragged myself up and into a shower, figuring the steam may make me feel better. Danny arrived back and judged we should visit the ship's medical facility. He said, "Look, all that insurance we've always paid for, we may as well take some advantage of it.

After a pretty detailed scouring, I was diagnosed with bronchitis, given a slew of medicines and sent away. We decided that, for a few days at least, it will be best if I avoid mingling with others. Dan's now gone off to a meeting with CRUISECRITIC.COM playmates and I'm thinking of going for a lonely, first of the day cup of coffee.


One bit of interesting trivia: We learnt that, during the night, the ship had to turn about and return to Catalina Island to offload an ill passenger. The Captain has said there should be no trouble for Golden to make up the time and deliver us to Hilo Monday morning, as scheduled.

So - as you can see, there are yet no pictures to share. I cannot even say, for sure, where either camera may be. Sorry, for those who like seeing pictures. I can only promise there will be some photos in the coming days.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Bronchitis sure messes with what sounds like trip with good potential (old musician acquaintances and others). Take good care of yourself DONN and good that you got the onboard medical help needed.

Mary and I are fans of trips with several friends, having discovered the many benefits of such. Take good care of yourself mate... Jim

Dec 9, 2010, 7:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home